1. Memorize and sign the Temperance Pledge. "Realizing the importance of healthy body and mind, I promise, with the help of God, to live a Christian life of true temperance in all things and to abstain from the use of tobacco, alcohol or any other narcotic."
2. Memory work: Memorize 3 Bible verses and 3 Spirit of Prophecy quotations from the following:
a. Romans 12:1, 2
b. 1 Cor. 10:31
c. 1 Cor. 6:19, 20
d. Proverbs 20: 1
e. Galatians 5:22, 23
f. 3 John 2
Spirit of Prophecy
a. "True temperance teaches us to abstain entirely from that which is injurious, and to use judiciously only healthful and nutritious articles of food." Temperance, p. 3.
b. The only safe course is to touch not, taste not, handle not, tea, coffee, wines, tobacco, opium, and alcoholic drinks." Counsels on Diet and Foods, p. 428.
c. "...temperance alone is the foundation of all the graces that come from God, the foundation of all victories to be gained." Temperance, p. 201.
d. "A pure and noble life, a life of victory over appetite and lust, is possible to everyone who will unite his weak, wavering human will to the omnipotent, unwavering will of God." Temperance, p.113.
e. "Tobacco is a slow, insidious, but most malignant poison. In whatever form it is used, it tells upon the constitution; it is all the more dangerous because its effects are slow and at first hardly perceptible." Ministry of Healing, pp. 327, 328.
3. Do four of the following: You should refer to AYBL (Adventist Youth for Better Living) Manual for details.
a. Write and deliver a five- to eight-minute speech (oration).
b. Write an essay on alcohol, tobacco, drugs, or physical fitness of from 150 to 200 words and your commitment to a healthy lifestyle.
c. Write a four-line jingle on a Drug Prevention topic. d. Draw/make a poster 22" x 28" that tells about the harmful effects of a drug, tobacco, or alcohol.
d. Make a substance abuse exhibit for a local shopping mall, library, or school.
e. Make a scrapbook of at least 20 pages showing Drug Prevention advertisements.
f. Share with at least five other persons what you have accomplished from the above list and obtain their signed Temperance Pledges (immediate relatives not included).
4. Know and explain:
a. The reason behind the warning on the cigarette packet: "Warning-smoking is a health hazard."
b. Seven ingredients of tobacco smoke:
4) Carbon monoxide
c. Emphysema, cirrhosis, addiction
d. The effects of tobacco, alcohol, drugs and pregnancy
5. Read the chapter "Stimulants and Narcotics" in Ministry of Healing. Be able to discuss briefly or provide a written summary approximately two or three paragraphs in length.
6. After studying the following materials, list three things that contribute to temperance and good health. (Other than abstaining from that which is harmful.)
a. Temperancep.139 paragraph I
b. Counsels on Diet and Foods, p. 406 paragraph I
c. Temperance, p.140 paragraph 2
d. Temperance, p.143 paragraph 3
e. Counsels on Health, p. 127 paragraph 4
f. Temperance, p. 148 paragraph 2
7. Discuss and role play-What would you do if...
a. Your best friend asks you to try a cigarette?
b. A classmate offers you money to sell marijuana? c. an older relative offers you a drink of beer?
c. The smoke from a stranger's cigarette is bothering you?
d. A friend invites you to smoke marijuana?
e. You are at a party with a friend, he gets drunk and insists on driving you home?